Thursday, June 12, 2008

Chicago here we come

Look out Chicago, here we come!!!! :) John is in Chicago for business for 2 weeks (over father's day, how rotten is that???) and we're spending the 2nd week with him. This means, I am taking 5 kids all by myself on a 10 hour trip in the car. This also includes little Kemry who screams the entire time she is in the car and rarely, if ever, falls asleep. What am I getting myself into??? LOL I have never driven further than an hour and a half away by myself with my kids (or without kids). I have never driven in or through big cities with or without kids (John always drives on vacation). Can you guys see why I'm a bit nervous and stressed out about this trip? :) Please pray for us! :) I don't yet know how I'm going to manage bathroom trips with a mixture of boys and girls (my boys are NOT going in strange men's restrooms alone) or where to stop and get the kids all stretched out (safely) half way. I know it will DEFINITELY be worth it once we get there though. We miss John so much & we'll get to see our Guat friends Andrew and Lucas. Plus enjoy all the FUN things Chicago has to offer!

SOOOOO for the FUN parts of the trip! We are hoping to go to Shedd Aquarium, Brookfield Zoo with
Ruthanne & Andrew, Indiana Dunes, Navy Pier, Museum of Science & Energy, Lincoln Park, etc. Anyone else have any great suggestions???
AND if anyone has any suggestions on places to get the kids out and stretch in or near Indianapolis (we will be taking I-65 from Louisville), let me know. I think that's where we'll be stopping around lunchtime to let the kids get out their sillies.



post signature

13 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh, how fun! I am jealous! Not of the car trip though. You can do it! I admit though, I would be nervous too. You'll do great and at least you have older ones to help with the younger ones.

Kerri said...

Good luck on the trip. I'm sure it will be survivable and keep your eyes on the end goal. Have lots of fun in Chicago!
Kerri and Ruby

Christina said...

If you are going through Louisville why not stop in Jeffersonville where we live(thats the first IN town you will go through)? Let me know when you all are coming through and maybe we could meet you guys somewhere.

Kathy said...

Good luck on the trip! You will be fine and Chicago will be a blast!!

Kristy said...

What fun! Yes, I would dread the car ride too. I will definitely say a prayer for you guys. When we go on trips, we take a portable potty, trash bags, toilet paper, and wipes. :) I know our girls are smaller, but this way I don't have to take Kenna to a public potty (and she prefers this too really)! ;) And, movies are great for long trips! My little ones love musical movies (Sound of Music and Mary Poppins, etc.). HAVE FUN! :) Take pics to share! :)

Becca said...

Cool - have fun and be safe! Good luck - and take lots of pictures!

Peace and Hugs,
Becca

Gwen, Jenny, & Mia said...

We are going to chicago next week! too bad not this week huh? I googled parks and found one 1/2 way for us to get out and play, try that....

I am dreading the car ride with just Mia, I feel for you. You have a dvd player right?

Have a great time, you will be fine, just take your time and don't let the Chicago drivers scare you, they will try, but don't let them!

Ruthanne said...

WOO HOO!!! Get over her girl!! I can't WAIT to see you guys!!!

I have news for you, though. There is now Museum of Science and Energy. You're kids are going to be really disappointed. lol

You're going to do GREAT!! I'm home cleaning for Gramma and Grandad. Call as often as you need to. :) And if you need me to come get you at the Illinois border, you know I'll do that too. ;)

Amy said...

Wow!!! You are going to have quite a trip! Good luck...We are also in the Chicagoland area, and all the things you listed are what I would have suggested.

Have a great time in Chicago!

Hannah said...

Ok first of all did you know this is free week at some of the museums and aquarium? You can google to get the exact days but I just looked earlier and it is this week. We went last year during free week and it was great. It is only admission that is free but if you purchase extra it still takes off the basic amount.

Ok next. I am close to Louisville and it is pretty safe to stop. I am what my husband calls a country yuppie and only feel safe in areas that offer Starbucks so if I feel safe somewhere trust me it is safe.

I would just not stop downtown Louisville, it's pretty safe just not great for kids but they do have this park right off the interstate next to the Ohio river that is pretty nice. If you see signs that say Hurstborne or Shelbyville Rd you are in the east end and that is super safe.

Laurie said...

I'm sure you can do it! Sounds like a fun adventure! We are about to start out on a 1000 mile trek to the east coast! When I think Chicago, I first think Hanna Andersson and Willow Creek Church! Love 'em both!

Dewey & Stacey said...

Oh you'll have such an adventure!!! I'm sure you'll have lots of "fun" stories to tell.
Take a couple of balls, kickballs, footballs, frisbies. You can stop at any park (or open green space) and just let the kids run and play for 10 minutes. It will make a world of difference. We have found 3 hours is the boys melt down point. So we stop let them run and it gives us another 3 hours. Makes for a longer trip but you all get there in one piece.
I can't wait to hear about your trip!!!
Have a great weekend!
Stacey

Vanessa said...

NO suggestions as I'm way at the bottom of the boot in Louisiana, but I wanted to wish you and your family safe travels!!
HUGS
Vanessa
www.mommyslilblessings.blogspot.com
www.ubah.com/BF25268
Guatemala school book drive!