Monday, August 24, 2009

Monarch Butterflies & nomads

We started the insect portion of our science curriculum this week (Apologia Zoology 1), so we decided to "adopt" some Monarch butterflies and follow their life cycle.



We have several eggs that haven't hatched yet. They are so teeny tiny it's hard to find them.

We also have several caterpillars in different sizes. I actually think I got a picture of this one's hiney thinking it was his head. HA HA

We didn't realize that we also got ladybug eggs and larvae so we get to study the life cycle of a ladybug too! Here are the ladybug eggs. They are in clusters and much easier to find.

And the larvae are kinda gross looking. This one is munching on an aphid while I take the picture!
Here are pictures from our "nomad night" I mentioned in the last post.
Guess Kolton thought it was going to be cold because he grabbed flannel PJs. LOL I told them to make sure they were long sleeved because of mosquitoes.



post signature

5 comments:

Hannah said...

I am SO glad you are homeschooling this year. We are going to be home school buddies all year long :)

I have been looking at the Apologia books for our science too. I am a total slacker and still have not got our science or history books! Do you like them so far? The only thing that is causing me pause is since they are for a broad grade range I am worried they will be too juvenile for a sixth grader. If you get a chance let me know how you like them.

I love how hands on you guys are. I an going for that too. I don't know if I can do the bug thing or not :)

Leah Reeves said...

Wow, it looks like homeschooling is going well! You guys are having so much fun.

I love all the pictures. Keep them coming......

Jessica said...

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am for you all and homeschooling. It certainly looks like you guys are off and running and having a great time. We loved the life cycles last year. We actually had a butterfly with a deformed wing that couldn't fly so we had her for her entire life cycle! I'm thinking of doing frogs this year, too.

Natalie said...

If I end up homeschooling, we will have to skip the bug chapter! I could barely look at those pics-eek!

MoonNStarMommy said...

That is so cool :) Did you happen to find the eggs??? That's great! I think we might be past season now.

Looks like the kids had fun! LOL