Monday, July 05, 2010

Getting Organized

I am NOT the most organized person in the world. I am organized in my head and I want to be organized so bad, but when it comes to actually implementing it, I fail horribly. I have always gotten by, but by the skin of my teeth. Well, that HAS to change now. I cannot bring a newborn home along with his/her neediness, extra laundry, extra "things" right in the middle of a homeschooling year as well as Kollin being in his 1st year of highschool (and in band, running cross country, and playing soccer) and Karly being in her 8th grade yr (and cheering at all the football/basketball games, doing the big ballet, chorus, running track & playing soccer) without being organized to the minute. That doesn't even include the schedules of the homeschooled kids (co-op where I am teaching a class as well, gymnastics, basketball, soccer etc) or Kemry and her speech therapy. We never miss any of their games/concerts/performances. John or I will always be there and most often we have to spread between several things. I read a lot of big family/homeschooling blogs and get a lot of ideas from them. The issue is most homeschool all their kids or none of their kids. Our situation is a little unique that some are homeschooled and some aren't and I still want to be very involved in both.

I MUST GET MORE ORGANIZED OR I AM GOING TO SINK! Michelle Duggar says that they were unorganized until #5 came along. I'm a kid past that and need to catch up. Their house runs like a well oiled machine and they have ...what? 12? 13? kids more than we do? I know it can be done.

I have tried tons of books and programs (ie flylady, titus2) over the years and they always fail because they either have a homeschooling mind-set or a public schooling mind-set, not set up for both.

I would just like for someone who understands all the ins and outs of a big family some in PS and some HS to tell me exactly what to do...I SO would do anything. I just have to know where to start and what to do.

So if you have tips that worked great for your family or organizing books you love or blog posts that changed your life (LOL), please share! :) I'm ready for a whole lifestyle overhaul and need to know where to begin.




post signature

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Hey Kelly!

I know it's been a sweet forever since I've commented here but I do read when you post :)

So, as you know, I only have 3 and do not homeschool BUT I also struggle with having a very organized brain and lack follow through. So, here is what has helped me:
1. Inspiredtoaction.com is a blog by a Christian mom who encourages and give practical advice on how to get and STAY organized.
2. Make a plan, write it out and then be accountable to it somehow- post it at home, share it with John, blog it, get a mentor or friend who will check in with you
3. This is the hardest one- DECIDE what you can no longer do. I love to serve and be involved in everything with my kids and our church- school, sports, etc. but I was doing too much and not doing much as well as I could. So I just decided to stop doing certain things- which I enjoyed and were good things- but could no longer fit in my life if I were to stay a sane mommy and wife. I suspect you will have to do the same- it's a process I went through with much prayer and although I miss some of the "things" I was doing, overall we are all much happier since I have slowed down.
4. I have not read it yet but the next book on my list this summer is Not So Fast. I am hoping it will help me streamline our lives even more. http://www.amazon.com/Not-So-Fast-Slow-Down-Solutions/dp/1434768880/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235423334&sr=8-1

By the way, I have a new blog that I don't think I shared with you yet so please feel free to check it out! But, no pressure, I hear you're kind of busy ;p

Eastiopians said...

Haha, I have no advice. But lots of encouragement! I know you are a GREAT mommy and will figure it out! :)

Michelle said...

You don't need to get organized, you need a chauffeur, a maid, and a cook and bottle washer. Wowzers, you are busy!

I think people who have many kids HAVE to organize or live in chaos and emotional distress.

1. Massively declutter
2. Make your kids do tons of the work.
3. Have a big family calendar posted on the wall . . . If it's not on the calendar it doesn't happen.

The kids are the reason you're going nuts. They're the ones that make the messes, require the big meals and the bigger clean-up, create mountains of laundry, and need rides everyplace. Make them clean up, do dishes, clean bathrooms, do some grocery shopping, wash their own laundry, arrange rides with friends at least some of the time and so on. Above all do not feel guilty for making them do all the work . . . think of it as boot camp for responsible adult life. Think of the advantage they'll have over their pampered peers. ;)

Carissa said...

Have you tried Managers of Their Homes (or something like that). I had her book around here, but now I can't find it. How ironic is that?!
My best advice would be to make sure you breathe. :)
And congrats again on the little one on the way!

Kathy C. said...

You have a beautiful family.